Skip to main content

Stage 2: North Rim

First View of The Canyon
First Metal Sign


I got going from Jacobs Lake and quite enjoyed the trail. Lots of great scenery and buff trail. Some great views once I got to the Eastern Rim.  The day flew by and I got to the North Rim just before dark, I found the backcountry permit office to have closed at 5 despite it having said 6 online.  They reopened at 8 AM though. I went down the the campground and was happy to meet another South Bound rider.  Chad was scheduled to take the shuttle around the canyon the next morning at 7 but warned me of forecasted overnight rain. He had bought a $6 tarp from the general store there and it was huge so he offered me to cut half of it off.  I did and rigged it to some trees and anchored the bottom with my bike.  It ended up raining gently for most of the morning so I was very glad to have it.  I also met a group of very nice hikers who were doing a 4 day rim to rim to rim.  

First "No Moto" sign in GCNP

I found they had coin showers so knowing I would be in the canyon the next few days and was already on day 3 I decided to make use of that. This campground also was closing for the season that afternoon!

Stats: 7:45 moving time 54 Miles 5,981 gain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stage 4: Out of the Canyon

I woke up quite sore from the day before. I took quite awhile to get my bike strapped back onto my bag.  I decided today warranted 2 pouches of oatmeal.  I quickly crossed the bridge across the Colorado River and through the tunnel. I ran into a group familiar with the race and they got some great photos of me and gave great words of encouragement.  The day was a blur but here's some of the things people said: Canyon Views "I've seen plenty of men ride bicycles, but I've never seen a bicycle ride a man" -Mule train cowboy(w/Pit Vipers) "Oh is there good trails at the bottom, no? And you found out the hard way" "You must have really wanted a bicycle at the bottom" "I bet you had a blast riding that thing down" "So will you bring your bike to a shop to be reassembled when you get out?" In the end hiking out was just as difficult as down & across. Huge props to the bikepacking lunatics who do the whole thing in a day! I...

Stage 1: Jacobs Lake

Sunrise in Big Water I woke up at sun rise and go to work pedaling to the start.  A ton of empty pick up trucks passed me and I hap hazardly stuck out a thumb hoping someone would give me a ride so I could get on singletrack.  There was a surprising amount of traffic once I turned onto dirt of people going to assorted trail heads.  I got to state line campground around 11:20 and did some stretching and ate a little in the shade. At the Northern Terminus I started up the first hill and it was tough! It was 86* with no shade and a ton of elevation to be gained. I saw a through hiker about to finish only about a mile from the trail head which was a cool way to start.  It was interesting I felt like I was on New Mexico style desert, looking at big red rock Utah style desert and marching towards Arizona style terrain.  Once up top in the woods the trail became more enjoyable.  I was making great progress but right before dark I started to feel weak.  I deci...