Skip to main content

Stage 6: Resupply Day

 I woke up next to the gate after hearing someone pass through right at sunrise. As I was packing up a pair of through hikers come through. They had heard me out late the night before as I was running my bear bell.  After I had packed up camp I set out towards Flagstaff. The bike route follows the equestrian trail which is a long ways around the town to then go into it for resupply.  I had strategically picked the spot I had shipped my stuff to knowing this.

I had picked the CVS closest to the trail as they we're a FedEx shipping center and had a couple restaurants in the plaza. I picked up the package, ordered a significant amount of food from the restaurant next door, then setup on the patio to unpack shipment. I had shipped a more conventional backpack, fresh clothes, a tent, and a lighter weight sleeping bag. Its amazing the people who finish the trail without a drop shipment.

I took over a corner of the patio. It took almost 2 hours to get all my new stuff in place and old stuff back in the box to send home.  Just after I finished eating the manager came out and told me I had to move along, there was paying customers coming for their usual lunch rush. I explained not only was a I paying customer but that I planned to come in and order more. This was not the first time in life I was assumed to be homeless though it was a very uncomfortable feeling

In my planning to carry fewer warm layers from this supply drop there was a day and a half of riding before I would drop elevation enough for the temperature to warm up.  I ordered some more food and gave a call to Mormon Lake Lodge to reserve a room for the night.  This certainly was going to mean a long night. Not wanting to push my luck at this restaurant I decided not to fill my water. 

I stopped by the Chipotle I had ridden past on my way from the trail on my way back to fill my water and got a big burrito to put in my pack for dinner. The bike route follows the equestrian trail around Flagstaff which was a bit painful knowing it was so much longer than the hiking option. The trail out of town was an interesting mix of tunnels under roads/train crossings, ranch land, and amazingly maintained state park trail.

Trail near Mormon Lake

Dinner with a View











The ride through Walnut Canyon was amazing. Great views, some easy miles mixed with some extremely rocky gnarly descents which most would walk even without bikepacking bags.  The canyon was filled with large rock outcropping features.  I ate my burrito just before dark on the high point of the day.  I'm not much of a Chipotle fan but this was certainly the best burrito I've ever had from there. Once through this developed trail network, I still had a ton of miles to cover. The trail climbed significantly. I wished I had daylight to see the area as the trail felt like it was going through open plains in a area cows grazed with an endless cliff to the East. There was a long stretch that was slightly downhill which was incredibly frustrating, though it did not look muddy, my tires we're getting packed up with "Death Mud" and I had to push/carry my bike on a flat open road.  It got extremely cold, about 20*F, and I put on ALL of my layers including a pair of hand warmers as I crossed the highway.

I had grand plans to take trail all the way to Mormon Lake, so I would not need to ride the road back and forth. The trail was slow going and it became obvious that I would need to ride the road to get a decent enough sleep and out of the cold.  I exited the trail at a closed campground that was being rebuilt.  The road went quickly and I got to Mormon Lake around midnight. I was a bit confused on finding my key for late check in so I rode around looking for it for 30 minutes. I then found the lodging building was the first in town. I found my key and entered the warm cabin.  I slept like a rock, glad I wasn't out in the 17* weather with my 45* sleeping bag.

Stats: 10:55 moving time 70 Miles  8,559ft gain


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stage 7: The Other Rims Edge

 I was glad to be able to pack up in the warm room while it was still well below freezing outside.  I stopped by the general store for some hot coffee on my way out of town.  I met a southbound through hiker who was very worried, two days later snow and even colder temps we're coming and they knew they had a few days before they dropped into Pine and lower elevation.  I was very glad I would be moving fast enough to be well ahead of the weather. This plant lined the trail and glows silver at night Lots of gates this day This trail is exactly what I though the Northern trail would be, dreamy flowing singletrack with some minor elevation change.   Halfway through the day I ran back into Chad who was bikepacking southbound that I met at the Grand Canyon North Rim.  We caught up and it turned out he had gotten rained out after taking the shuttle around the Grand Canyon. He spent over a day at the South Rim.  I kept moving, determined to make it to the ranger station by dark to have din

Stage 0: The Drive

I had planned to leave the house at 11 to pick up my rental car in Denver but work had other plans with an unplanned outage on my groups most important application starting at 10.  I did end up getting out the door around 12:30 after resolving the issue. As we headed out the door and I test my GPS one more time I laughed when it said I was ~450 miles offroute and Erin pointed out that I'm only driving about half as far as I planned to ride. Erin dropped me off at the rental car place in downtown Denver, it felt a bit funny to only have the clothes I plan to wear for the next week on. I stopped in Fruita to pick up a big pizza from Pablos as my last meal before exiting society for a few weeks on and off. My original plan was to catch a ride from a trail angel who posted on the race forum a few months earlier but that plan had fallen through earlier in the week. Midnight at Page Airport I arrived in Page around midnight, a few hours later than planned due to work.  I had some trouble

Stage 8: Highline Trail

From General Springs I crossed the main forest road and got on what ended up being the rowdiest descent of the whole route. It was just straight down a steep loose telephone line access filled with rocks.  I rode most of it but did have to walk a few feet of the descent since I would pick up speed to fast on the loaded bike. The Highline Trail is the most dreaded section of the AZT. I was optimistic by heading South this wouldn't be the case. It turns out starting in 2022 this will no longer be the case.  A trail crew has made significant progress on cleaning up the trail.  While I still did get a preview of the the past torture fest only a few hills at the start will still so rocky they were not rideable.  The parts which have been reworked were rather soft and that made pedaling difficult but it will pack in. They basically ran a zamboni over the whole trail. I met the trail workers and thanked them for their work. I also ran in the ranger heading up the project and chatted with