Skip to main content

Stage 5: Leg Redemption

 I started the day out nice and cozy from sleeping in a hotel. I woke up early and decided to grab a quick breakfast from the Mexican restaurant from the same plaza, it was freezing outside.  I was expecting breakfast burritos but was surprised by an all you can eat American breakfast buffet. I grabbed my bike, stopped by the general store to grab some sugary snacks and an packet of Ramen as I was low on food and wasn't sure if it was gonna be a one or two day journey to Flagstaff.  The trail to the lookout tower was in quite good condition. I was serenaded by the anthem of the Northern AZ woods: Chainsaws.  There was a crew of 6 lumberjacks cutting trees just off trail.  I ran into some hunters looking for elk just after and and let them know the elks probably don't like all the chainsaws going in the area.

Warm Hotel in Tusayan
Grandview Firetower


At Grandview I had to go up the fire tower to get a look, I've never passed up a fire tower overlook.  I decided to keep a good pace I should set the goal of only stopping at the end of passages. First I set the target of Moqui Stage station, stopped for a snack there and was surprised there wasn't really anything there.  Next I set the goal of East Cedar Tank to top off my water.  This spot was just off trail and really cool.  A pipe from a spring came out of the ground and into a small metal tank. Below was a large dirt pond.  I was able to fill up with clear water from the pipe without touching the nasty green water in the tank.  It was about 5 so I decided I might as well cook dinner here and pull out my warmer layers for the evening.  Next I set the goal to get to the far side of Snow Bowl.

Russel Tank is actually a pond near here

This section of trail was great!










The official trail before and after Cedar Ranch was a surprising amount of old dirt roads so I was able to make pretty quick work of it. As I passed Kelly tank where I was planning to get a little bit more water I couldn't find it as it was fully dark. There was some hunters confused by my lights but with a roaring fire in a big clearing just off the road, and they pointed me back to the resupply box.  The next section of trail was surpassingly primitive and jumped in and out of  a ditch before crossing a road and climbing up to Snow Bowl.  I was expecting the climb to Snow Bowl to be significant but it was a nice gentle set of switchbacks that IMBA would be proud of.  I kept pushing forwards looking for a great camp spot. The best camp spot I saw on the climb had a few tents on it. While I was tempted to camp near by in my beyond exhaustion state I was set I should keep going over the mountain.  I saw a lot of deer on the trail which startled me, I knew this isolated mountainous region was crawling with bear and other animals. The descent down the other side was awesome. Very rough terrain with a properly maintained trail running through, it might have been the best of the whole trip. My water bottle launched onto the trail.  I stopped and when I got going again the straps holding my rear bag on the rack go caught in my spokes and I almost crashed hard in the rocks.  I was expecting there to be campsites, especially near the road crossing for the main road up to the ski area I was passing. After some searching at the bottom I found a flat spot just past the gate after crossing the road. It was cold but a bit warmer than the other side of the mountain where I had seen the hunters.


Humphreys and the San Francisco Peaks


Great Dinner Views
Slimy pond with clear water flowing in














Stats: 12:14 moving time 91 Miles  7,241ft gain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stage 7: The Other Rims Edge

 I was glad to be able to pack up in the warm room while it was still well below freezing outside.  I stopped by the general store for some hot coffee on my way out of town.  I met a southbound through hiker who was very worried, two days later snow and even colder temps we're coming and they knew they had a few days before they dropped into Pine and lower elevation.  I was very glad I would be moving fast enough to be well ahead of the weather. This plant lined the trail and glows silver at night Lots of gates this day This trail is exactly what I though the Northern trail would be, dreamy flowing singletrack with some minor elevation change.   Halfway through the day I ran back into Chad who was bikepacking southbound that I met at the Grand Canyon North Rim.  We caught up and it turned out he had gotten rained out after taking the shuttle around the Grand Canyon. He spent over a day at the South Rim.  I kept moving, determined to make it to the ranger station by dark to have din

Stage 0: The Drive

I had planned to leave the house at 11 to pick up my rental car in Denver but work had other plans with an unplanned outage on my groups most important application starting at 10.  I did end up getting out the door around 12:30 after resolving the issue. As we headed out the door and I test my GPS one more time I laughed when it said I was ~450 miles offroute and Erin pointed out that I'm only driving about half as far as I planned to ride. Erin dropped me off at the rental car place in downtown Denver, it felt a bit funny to only have the clothes I plan to wear for the next week on. I stopped in Fruita to pick up a big pizza from Pablos as my last meal before exiting society for a few weeks on and off. My original plan was to catch a ride from a trail angel who posted on the race forum a few months earlier but that plan had fallen through earlier in the week. Midnight at Page Airport I arrived in Page around midnight, a few hours later than planned due to work.  I had some trouble

Stage 8: Highline Trail

From General Springs I crossed the main forest road and got on what ended up being the rowdiest descent of the whole route. It was just straight down a steep loose telephone line access filled with rocks.  I rode most of it but did have to walk a few feet of the descent since I would pick up speed to fast on the loaded bike. The Highline Trail is the most dreaded section of the AZT. I was optimistic by heading South this wouldn't be the case. It turns out starting in 2022 this will no longer be the case.  A trail crew has made significant progress on cleaning up the trail.  While I still did get a preview of the the past torture fest only a few hills at the start will still so rocky they were not rideable.  The parts which have been reworked were rather soft and that made pedaling difficult but it will pack in. They basically ran a zamboni over the whole trail. I met the trail workers and thanked them for their work. I also ran in the ranger heading up the project and chatted with