Skip to main content

Stage 3: Into the Canyon

I got up to cook breakfast and pack my things up. I tried to be strategic knowing I'd be attaching my bike to my bag shortly.  I killed the partial butane I had started with and broke out my brand new can, one less thing to carry through the canyon.  I ate with the rim hikers I had met the night before.

I got to the permit office just a few minutes before 8. They phoned the South Rim and were able to get me a permit at the group spot in Bright Angel which was ideal. That meant I would hike the 7 miles down and 7 miles across today and save the 7 miles up for the next day.  I donated my left over shower quarters to the NPS to not carry a bunch of extra metal across the canyon.

A few hundred feet in
Bike Disassembly










Once at the trail there was a small sign that said "No Bicycles". It took me about 40 minutes to pack my bike up.  The weather was overcast and drizzling which was ideal.  The bike felt heavy but manageable. I was very glad to have a proper bag to keep the weight stable and hiking poles.  I made decent time to Cottonwood Camp and had minimal questions along the way. I even got some hikers to take my photo. I think I only took my pack off once at the Manzanita Ranger Station along the way. There was a bunch of cowboys riding horses stopped at Cottonwood.


Cowboys at Cottonwood

Rear View

I stopped to fill up my water and eat a backpacker meal from my stove.  The ranger stopped there was trying to convince me to take side trips while in the canyon and to add a night at Indian Garden CG.

The stretch from Cottonwood to Phantom Ranch was long! I stopped a few times and took off my pack.  I made it to Phantom Ranch in time to get a New Belgium Fat Tire and mail Erin a post card.

It was a short walk from Phantom to Bright Angel. I was the only one in the group site they had set aside for AZT through hikers.

I cooked another backpacker meal and started unpacking, I had to fully unstrap my bike to get my stuff out.  I looked over at the table and what looked like a racoon was on the table eying my food.  I realized it was a ring tailed cat and when I said "Hey!" it took off and ran straight up a vertical cliff.  It was quite warm in the canyon and really nice to stare at the stars as I went to sleep on my 3rd picnic bench of the trip.  My muscles were all so tight and my legs we're having constant spasms with them twitching in an alternating fashion. I knew I had a tough day ahead of me to just get out of the canyon with my 70lb pack.

There was a constant stream of headlamps on the trail all night.


Stats: 13:20  moving time 2.5 Miles riding 14 miles hiking 6,025ft descent


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stage 7: The Other Rims Edge

 I was glad to be able to pack up in the warm room while it was still well below freezing outside.  I stopped by the general store for some hot coffee on my way out of town.  I met a southbound through hiker who was very worried, two days later snow and even colder temps we're coming and they knew they had a few days before they dropped into Pine and lower elevation.  I was very glad I would be moving fast enough to be well ahead of the weather. This plant lined the trail and glows silver at night Lots of gates this day This trail is exactly what I though the Northern trail would be, dreamy flowing singletrack with some minor elevation change.   Halfway through the day I ran back into Chad who was bikepacking southbound that I met at the Grand Canyon North Rim.  We caught up and it turned out he had gotten rained out after taking the shuttle around the Grand Canyon. He spent over a day at the South Rim.  I kept moving, determined to make it to the ranger station by dark to have din

Stage 0: The Drive

I had planned to leave the house at 11 to pick up my rental car in Denver but work had other plans with an unplanned outage on my groups most important application starting at 10.  I did end up getting out the door around 12:30 after resolving the issue. As we headed out the door and I test my GPS one more time I laughed when it said I was ~450 miles offroute and Erin pointed out that I'm only driving about half as far as I planned to ride. Erin dropped me off at the rental car place in downtown Denver, it felt a bit funny to only have the clothes I plan to wear for the next week on. I stopped in Fruita to pick up a big pizza from Pablos as my last meal before exiting society for a few weeks on and off. My original plan was to catch a ride from a trail angel who posted on the race forum a few months earlier but that plan had fallen through earlier in the week. Midnight at Page Airport I arrived in Page around midnight, a few hours later than planned due to work.  I had some trouble

Stage 8: Highline Trail

From General Springs I crossed the main forest road and got on what ended up being the rowdiest descent of the whole route. It was just straight down a steep loose telephone line access filled with rocks.  I rode most of it but did have to walk a few feet of the descent since I would pick up speed to fast on the loaded bike. The Highline Trail is the most dreaded section of the AZT. I was optimistic by heading South this wouldn't be the case. It turns out starting in 2022 this will no longer be the case.  A trail crew has made significant progress on cleaning up the trail.  While I still did get a preview of the the past torture fest only a few hills at the start will still so rocky they were not rideable.  The parts which have been reworked were rather soft and that made pedaling difficult but it will pack in. They basically ran a zamboni over the whole trail. I met the trail workers and thanked them for their work. I also ran in the ranger heading up the project and chatted with